Thursday, August 26, 2010

Denver, Colorado

My policy for traveling is leaving expectations behind and allowing myself ample room for the unexpected. It is this very policy that which allows me to take in the delights of many wonders presented to me just through my aimless wandering around town.


The Denver Botanic Garden offers a wide array of visual interests. I was especially drawn to this cabbage patch which was on display across the front entrance. This vegetable has a special place in my heart as it reminds me of my prior work with a devoted team of artists designing prototypes for the doll line, Cabbage Patch Kids. The garden offers an exciting horticulture experience with plants ranging from a variety of squashes, chilies, broccoli and cauliflower, a wide selection of herbs, and even baby strawberries and unripened grapes not quite ready for the picking.


This 35-ft tall broom and dust pan is a sculptural prowess of The Denver Art Museum. It is the work of Cossje van Bruggen and Claes Oldenburg. The crumpled wads of paper, with its light color, contrasts that of the broom's darker hues. The upswept motion of the individual fibers and paper communicates such rhythmic movements.

We cooled ourselves down by visiting this tiny expresso shop for an iced cafe latte on the outskirt of town.

No comments:

Post a Comment