Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Immaculate Heart Center for Spiritual Renewal

Nestled in the Santa Ynez Mountains is a retreat center, The Immaculate Heart Community. It is a place where one seeks serenity, hospitality and friendship. I was there documenting a series of photographs of the people, the experiences, the holy ground and the food made from the center's skilled chef and baker. It became a pivotal point in my life resulting in a deeper appreciation for organic, wholesome food, and reinforcing my urge to seek harmony with nature and in all things living.

This is Teresa's mozzarella tomato salad with chopped basil leaves. The vibrant red tomato slices draw the eyes to the center bottom while the orange colored cherry tomatoes lead the eyes outward and around the smaller, concentric center which is accented by the black and green basil leaves.


The library is a wonderful place of rest and quiet contemplation. I did not have a chance to peruse the books on the shelves. However, this is almost an exact replica of my ideal library which I had envisioned for myself as a kid until I had decided to commit myself to a zen lifestyle.

This great oak tree is absolutely spectacular! It's sheer size standing next to the bench gives us a sense of scale. I love oak trees; they remind me of ancient spirits full of wisdom and kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment