Thursday, June 30, 2011

"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


One of my favorite poets of all time, Robert Frost and his poems, particularly this one, is simple and yet textured with such depth and emotions. Frost paints his scenes with simplicity, often depicting the every day plight of work and living. His pacing of words and contextual style allow me to enjoy a variety of imagery and vibrancy of the ordinary scenes.

Although this poem evokes a sense of psychic despair, there is a touch of hope and peace that can be accomplished from the losses experienced here. The stanzas have their tugs and pulls, putting me in a realm of mourning, losses and darkness, only to contradict their actions and ultimately pull me out of my journey with a promise of a rainbow at the end.

Absolutely brilliant work!

No comments:

Post a Comment